How to Paint Effectively in Horsham, PA: Common Mistakes to Avoid
When it comes to painting one or more rooms, you want to get the job done effectively AND efficiently. Many homeowners want to rush the process and get it done as quickly as possible but to succeed in a painting project, you need to know the most frequent mistakes and how to avoid them. While we always recommend hiring a painting contractor in Horsham, PA, if you want to give the DIY painting a try, here are the common mistakes to avoid;
My Roller Is Shedding
It is not uncommon to see a tiny threads of fabric from the roller cover transferred to the surface you are rolling when using a new roller cover.
New roller covers need a little preparation prior to using them. Most roller covers, even the best quality, will have some loose fibers on them that need to be removed before dipping into the paint.
What You Should Do
Start by using a high quality roller cover. Low quality covers may continue to shed regardless of how well you prep them. Put the cover on the roller frame. Take a roll of painters tape; with the sticky side facing up, tuck the end of the tape under your shoe and stretch out the tape about 3 feet. While still holding the other end of the roll in your hand, stretch the roll taunt and roll the cover up and down the tape several times while holding the handle of the frame. You will see the loose fibers stuck to the tape. There are other methods but this is the easiest and quickest way to prepare the roller cover for painting.
My Paint Does Not Cover Well
During the painting work, you notice that your paint does not completely cover your wall. Whitish marks appear, or brush strokes are apparent.
- You may be using the the wrong roller nap size.
- You may be rolling out the paint too much or over-brushing.
- Check the chosen shade. Some colors contain more or less covering power.
- You may need to apply multiple coats to achieve optimal results.
- It could also be that your paint was poorly stirred.
- You may be using a poor quality brush.
What You Should Do
- Use the proper nap size for the type of surface you are painting and the type of sheen you are using. For example: 1/2″ or 3/4″ nap for flat paints on drywall and 3/8″ or 1/2″ nap for eggshell.
- It is important to use proper technique for roller and brush application to achieve the best results.
- Paint colors are made with several types of bases to achieve their color. Deep tones may require a more translucent or clear base which will require more coats to achieve maximum coverage.
- Be sure to stir the paint well by mixing from the bottom up. If multiple cans of paint are needed for the project, be sure to combine all of them in a large container (5 gallon bucket) before painting, and pour out into your roller pan as needed.
- Spend the extra money for a good, quality brush. It makes a huge difference!
My Paint Is Making Bubbles
On the application or even directly in the container, bubbles form on the surface of your paint.
- The surface you are painting may be dirty or have other contaminates on it.
- We mentioned to you that the paint needs to be stirred, but there is a balance of mixing to be observed. The paint should not bubble if it has been stirred the right way.
What You Should Do
- Always start your project with a clean, dry surface before painting. Some surface contaminates may cause the paint to bubble or separate on the surface.
- Let your container settle for some time before continuing your work.
- A roller passed too quickly over the surface can create bubbles. When using a roller, try to press gently on your sleeve.
If you’re not sure how to go about avoiding these problems, calling on a professional painting contractor in Horsham, PA, is often the guarantee of a successful project.
A professional painter will advise you on the types of paints and finishes best suited to your project
If you need professional help to choose the best type of paint for repainting your home interior, our team at Aspen Painting & Wallcovering, Inc. can assist.
We have years of experience in interior painting with a long list
of happy customers in Ambler, Dresher, Ft. Washington, Blue Bell and
Call us today on 215-773-8422 for a FREE estimate to get started.
Ray is an inspiring leader with a strong work ethic stemming from his exemplary upbringing in a caring and loving family environment. His parents modeled the importance of integrity and hard work to him and his siblings, values which Ray now instills in his teenage daughter. As the owner of Aspen Painting & Wallcovering, Inc., he leads by example by expecting nothing but the best from himself and his employees. His primary goal is to provide superior service and quality craftsmanship to each of his clients so that they become enthusiastic ambassadors for the company. Ray is a passionate team player who always strives to exceed expectations.