Who you select to work in and around your home is a very big decision, even though you might not think it is.
The painter you select for this project will be in and around your home, for days and maybe weeks. They may have access to the interior of your home and as a result access to your personal belongings.
Most important of all, they will be in close contact with you, your family, friends, and neighbors. For all of these reasons, it makes sense to gather as much information as possible about any potential contractor you will use.
Many Homeowners Are Far Too Trusting in Who They Select for a Painter and Set Themselves Up for Disappointment or Worse
Because They Do Not Thoroughly Research Painting Contractors
While no process is perfect, and painters can “fudge” on their qualifications, some process for selecting a contractor is better than no process at all.
There is a good reason why some guys offer really cheap prices. To protect yourself and your family, just make sure, before you hire a painting contractor that they can answer YES to all 21 Questions…
Reputation and Stability:
1. Have they been in business for 10 or more years under the same company name?
2. Can they provide at least 10 “Raving Fan” Video Testimonials from happy clients, proving that they do what they say they are going to do?
3. Do they maintain at least $2 Million of Liability Insurance, and can their agent send the certificate directly to you, so that your home is covered in the event of an accident causing damage to your property (It happens).
4. Do they have Workers Comp Insurance, so that you don’t lose everything you own if a painter gets injured? (This happens more than you might realize in the trades)
5. Are the painters they are going to send to paint your house ACTUAL Employees of the company?
(If not and they use sub-contractors, do their sub-contractors have valid Workers Comp Insurance? Are all of the sub-contractor’s “crew members” employees of the sub-contractor or do they have individual Workers Comp Insurance?)
6. Do they do Background Checks of their employees?
7. Are they an Accredited Business with an A+ rating with the BBB?
8. Do they have a Worker Code of Conduct Policy?
9. Are they an active member of any Local Organizations such as the Chamber of Commerce or Rotary?
10. Are they a member of any Trade Associations such as PDCA (Painting & Decorating Contractors of America)?
Experience and Service:
11. Do they offer a written Warranty, if so how long is their warranty?
12. Do they offer Touch Ups for the life of the warranty?
13. Do they have a Home Improvement Contractors Licence as required by the state of Pennsylvania?
14. Do their crews have Daily Procedures and Reporting Documentation to assure a smooth-running project and minimize potential mistakes?
15. Do they provide a detailed description of Levels of Surface Preparation & Finish Appearance for interior and exterior work? (This will help you quantify the level of preparation that you are expecting)
16. Do they provide a Client Pre-Project Checklist with helpful hints?
17. Do they accept Visa, Mastercard, and American Express for ease of payment?
Follow Up and Follow Through:
18. Do they provide a Written Estimate with a Price Guarantee for the work specified?
19. Do they provide a Walk-Through with the crew lead upon completion of the job?
20. Do they provide a comprehensive Customer Satisfaction Survey upon completion of the job?
21. Do they provide you with a Warranty on all material and labor?
Aspen Painting & Wallcovering, Inc. can Proudly Answer YES To All 21 Questions and will provide both Liability Insurance and Workman Compensation Insurance Certificates, helping you to sleep soundly at night knowing that in the event, if your home is damaged, or worse, somebody is injured, that you are protected.