Your interior colors are generally a reflection of your personality. But do you know that the colors in your room can affect your mood and thoughts? Not many people factor this in when choosing interior paint colors. But it’s something you might want to give some thought before your next interior paint job.
Generally, color affects people in many ways depending on their gender, ethnic background and age. Certain colors tend to elicit similar reactions from most people, which is why you should take a moment to reflect on your choices.
While color trends are an important factor, they all come and go. The most important factor is how the colors used will affect the people that will be living in your home. So, with that in mind, let’s take a quick look at some of the most popular colors and how they influence your mood and thoughts.
Warm Paint Colors
• Orange/Red: red and orange are more intense hues that raise the energy level of a room. If you want to add some drama and excitement, these are your best options. Red and orange are commonly used in the dining room and living room to draw people together and stimulate conversations. You should probably not use this in the bedroom because it’s considered too stimulating for intimate spaces.
• Yellow: yellow is considered a joyful color that generates feelings of positivity, happiness, and optimistic emotions. It’s a popular color for dining rooms, kitchens, and bathrooms. When used in small spaces and entries, yellow is uplifting and provides a sense of expansiveness. While it promotes cheerful feelings, it’s not the best option to use as the main color scheme.
Neutral Paint Colors
• White: white is a great option for those who want to keep things simple and classic. Just don’t use stark white because this might come out as too clinical, making people feel anxious and uneasy. Try using a warm white to create a clean, cozy and modern space.
• Black: clever use of black can actually make your space more elegant, as long as you don’t paint your entire room black. Since black can go with pretty much anything, certain hues of black are considered the new neutrals. The best way to use black is as an accent color on your favorite areas of focus.
• Brown: this is a great earthy tone for those who want to feel one with nature. It generates feelings of being secure and contented and can be used in bedrooms or other main living areas.
• Gray: classic grays are typically combined with warm undertones to liven up spaces and offer elegance. If you intend to use gray as the main color scheme in a room, consider using a mixture of gray and beige to create a more inviting, warm feeling.
Cool Paint Colors
• Green: this is another awesome earthy tone you can use to add pops of color in your living room without making things overwhelming. For instance, you can use sage green to create a more relaxing and tranquil space. If you’re painting your home office or a crafting studio, saturated greens can invigorate your senses.
• Blue: this is probably the most soothing and calming color out there. You can use brighter hues in living areas to create a peaceful environment or darker hues in the bedroom to create an intimate environment.
The effect of color on your mood and thoughts might not be a major consideration when choosing your interior colors, but as you can see, it shouldn’t be ignored. If you’re planning to repaint the interior of your home in Horsham, Ambler, Dresher, Ft. Washington, or Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, our professional painting crew at Aspen Painting can help. Give us a call today for a free estimate or more details.
Ray is an inspiring leader with a strong work ethic stemming from his exemplary upbringing in a caring and loving family environment. His parents modeled the importance of integrity and hard work to him and his siblings, values which Ray now instills in his teenage daughter. As the owner of Aspen Painting & Wallcovering, Inc., he leads by example by expecting nothing but the best from himself and his employees. His primary goal is to provide superior service and quality craftsmanship to each of his clients so that they become enthusiastic ambassadors for the company. Ray is a passionate team player who always strives to exceed expectations.