Thinking about hiring a professional painter? Below are some guidelines on what to expect when planning a budget for an interior painting project.
Consider What Goes Into a Painting Job
When you hire someone to paint your home’s interior, you’re saving yourself lots of time. By having a professional come in, you can ensure that the paint layers are smooth and even and that they enhance the beauty of the space. Take all of these factors into account when determining your budget for hiring a professional painter. Their rate wasn’t chosen randomly, usually 15% of it counts towards the money they spend to acquire supplies such as paint brushes. The remaining 85% accounts for the labor and time spent on the project.
Another factor that goes into their overall rate is the size of the room (or rooms). They might calculate the total cost for the job by charging per square foot. The average cost per square foot falls between $2.75 and $5.75. Of course, other aspects go into determining the final rate. For example, they might look at how long the project takes. If the layout of the room is particularly tricky, it might take longer than average. Along the same lines, a wall with texture will take more time and require more paint than a smooth wall. Keep in mind that about half of all the painters out there are self employed, so there is nobody regulating their fees. Instead, they consider various aspects of the job to come to a final conclusion.
Benefits of Interior Painting
On the plus side, there are lots of benefits to painting indoors, rather than outside. Interior painting doesn’t usually require additional materials, such as sealants and special outdoor priming agents. In general, it takes less time because painters don’t have to consider garage doors, gates, and other complex components. They also don’t have to worry about the weather because they’ll be protected by a roof. With exterior painting, inclement weather can put a serious damper on things, delaying the project and even costing more money overall. Many painting companies will have higher prices during the colder months due to extreme winter weather.
You Get What You Pay for
If you’re trying to save a few bucks by skipping out on the expensive paint, you might not be doing yourself or your home any favors. A painter is the best person to ask for their professional take on paint types, but in general, it’s worth it to get some good-quality paint. That being said, different spaces call for their own paint types, which is why it’s wise to speak to the expert before committing to a style of paint. Also keep in mind that the average room needs two gallons of paint to complete an interior painting project. This, of course, will depend on the home size and layout.
Flat paint is typically the most economical, while semi-gloss can cost upwards of hundreds of dollars. Given all of the factors above, the general average for an interior painting job is between $1,700 and $1,800. Granted, there’s lots of wiggle room, but it’s good to know what you’re getting into beforehand. Happy painting!
Ray is an inspiring leader with a strong work ethic stemming from his exemplary upbringing in a caring and loving family environment. His parents modeled the importance of integrity and hard work to him and his siblings, values which Ray now instills in his teenage daughter. As the owner of Aspen Painting & Wallcovering, Inc., he leads by example by expecting nothing but the best from himself and his employees. His primary goal is to provide superior service and quality craftsmanship to each of his clients so that they become enthusiastic ambassadors for the company. Ray is a passionate team player who always strives to exceed expectations.